The following wedding cakes are real.
From diamonds to life-size brides, these cakes are designed to be show stoppers. Served to you as a main course of wedding cake inspiration, take a look and see for yourself!
Wedding cakes are accepted as an essential wedding element, here are some fun facts that you possibly didn’t know…
- The traditional tiered wedding cake came from a game where the bride and groom attempted to kiss over an ever-higher cake without knocking it over.
- Ancient Rome were the ignitors of the cake custom. Wedding guests had the fun task of breaking a loaf of bread over a bride’s head for fertility’s sake (Tip: make sure you know your guests well if you wish to try this at your wedding to avoid any disturbing occurrences). It also symbolized good fortune for the newlyweds. However, this good fortune was only symbolized by a well-formed cake as it was though to be representative of a well-formed marriage.
- Queen Victoria’s wedding cake weighed in at an impressive 300 pounds.
- It is known for some to be unlucky for a bride to make her own wedding cake. the superstitious believed it to be a sign that the bride is condemned to hard work with very little in return for the remainder of her life.
- In days gone by, it was strict tradition that the first slice was cut by the bride. The bride held a duty to feed the first bit of cake to her new husband. This was an act that was symbolic to the bride offering herself to the groom, an invitation to partake in all that she has to offer.
- It has become part of the present day wedding ceremony for the husband to assist in cutting the cake by laying his hand over hers. This act of cutting the cake as one is said to signify the unity of the heart, mind and soul. It is an announcement that the couple intends to share possessions equally, and walk their life path together as equal partners.
- A fun and contemporary tradition that has emerged sees the bride smearing cake all over the grooms face, with some grooms catching their brides by surprise and making the first smear. Symbolic of fun and laughter,this is a delightful happening of good humor and happiness in their unification.
- The playful tradition that has developed in recent years of the bride smearing the cake over the groom’s face and the groom retaliating delightedly is a symbol of the couple’s good humor and of their happiness in their union as man and wife.